Welcome to Art of Almost, the personal blog of Melbourne writer and freelance editor, Tom O’Connell. Tom has a Bachelor of Writing and Publishing and was the recipient of the NMIT Manuscript Consultation Fellowship Award in 2013. His work has appeared in numerous literary journals, including [untitled], Vine Leaves, Page Seventeen, n-scribe and Crack the Spine. For over five years, he was worked in the industry as a professional editor and copy-writer.
- Holds a Bachelor of Writing and Publishing from Melbourne Polytechnic.
- Recipient of the Bachelor of Writing and Publishing’s Manuscript Fellowship Consultation Award in 2013.
- Shortlisted for Yarra Plenty Regional Library’s Write Now! 2014 Short Story Competition.
- In 2015, Tom worked as a freelance editor for Sid Harta Publishers, a reputable vanity publisher with a diverse catalogue that includes work by the Former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia, Tim Fischer.
- Since 2014, Tom has proofread and copy-edited an assortment of business and self-help books for Busybird Publishing. Of recent note, he was fortunate enough to work on the memoir of local Collingwood celebrity Joffa Corfe.
- Tom was one of two lead editors on the 2014 issue of NMIT publication, Time to Write.
- In 2014, Tom interned with The Lifted Brow. He worked as an editorial assistant on the Ego and Medicine issues (#23 and #24).
- In 2012, Tom was the lead editor on the forty-seventh issue of NMIT’s student publication, INfusion.
- In 2011–2012, Tom interned with Busybird Publishing. During this time, he was an assistant editor on the literary journal, [untitled].